Family Time, Quality Time
As parents, we have to realize the importance of spending quality time with our children. Yes, I know we have to be able to provide our children with everything they need to have a good life and that is one of the things we have to accomplish. But spending quality and quantity time with them would not only be good for them, it would also be beneficial for us in the long run. Giving enough time for them would be a time or us to reflect, a time for us to be quiet a time for us to recharge our batteries. And frankly speaking, with everything that is happening around us, spending quality time with our family is a good thing to do.
Since we all seem to be living in a fast-paced environment, we rarely get the chance to spend quality time with our children. This must never be the case. We should not be absentee parents – we have to be present in the pivotal points of their lives – we have to cherish the time we have with our kids because we have such a limited time to enjoy their innocence and their frailty.
Cousins: Abby and Basti in one of our family outing
Here are some recommendations as to how we can spend more quality time with our children. Some of these may take some effort on our part but trust me, it would all be worth it as it would be greatly appreciated.
- Meal times should be family time. Doesn’t matter if you eat silently or eat noisily as a group. What matters is that you are all present for the family meal – you are all present to share a meal that could either have been prepared by mom or dad or could have been store bought. Quality conversations can be had – everyone gets to update what happened to them during the day – and whether you like it or not, you would have a lot of laughter to share. It’s important to spend some time munching with your loved ones because it only increases the bond that you have
- Sports brings people together. No matter what the sports event may be, you would be better served if you are there. You get to share the excitement, you get to share the pressure, better yet, you get to show your support to your child when he faces adversity. Your presence is important because he can show you how much he has grown; he can show you how much he has developed. And that, together with your praise and claps and cheers, means a whole lot to your children.
- Hobbies are a good thing too. Whatever hobby it may be, what is important is that you spend some time with your kids. We usually bring Abby into the mall – we get to spend a good time window shopping, eating and we have some good time bonding over food we love.
- Extracurricular activities in school are good times to share. These are among the best reasons why personal leaves have been included in your privileges. You can get some time off from work while at the same time have some time for your child. Spending time with your kids in school not only strengthens your family ties but also helps in your child developing a good image.
- Obviously, a family outing is a great time to have a good bonding with kids in a different environment. Kiddie parks, resorts, whatever the kids enjoy the options are limitless.
We have to realize that it is indeed important that we are able to give enough time for our children away from our occupations. We must never let our jobs get in the way of spending good times with our kids. After all, isn’t it they who are the reasons why we are working ourselves to the bone? It is a good thing to spend some needed time with them. Because, time flies so fast, and we can only cling to the memories of their youth that we can no longer bring back. So spend some time with your kids, and for God’s sakes, learn how to cherish them.
78 26 1